Wednesday, November 2, 2022 / by Sasha Spiegel
Tahoe Winter 2022/2023 Season is HERE!
Winter is Here... And it's no surprise that Tahoe Winters can be BIG. That's why it's important to be prepared!
Here's a list of reminders to help keep you safe and worry free this winter.
- Make it a habit of checking the weather ahead of time. You don't want to be caught off guard by a storm. A great App for your smart phone is Road Conditions Pro. It provides live footage of Interstate-80 and Highway-50. You can also view live web cams of road conditions on CalTrans or pay for Highly Rated up-to-date Snow Reports from Weather Forecasters like Open Snow.
- Prepare for Power Outages. Make sure you have a 'Power Outage Kit' i.e. Lanterns, Batteries, Portable Battery Packs (Pre-Charged), Wood for Wood stoves, Blankets and Board Games. Invest in a Generator if you can and make sure you have it professionally installed.
- Snow Removal! Make sure your snow removal contracts are renewed. Buy spare shovels and *make sure you change the oil in your snow blowers.
- Make sure to keep plenty of snowmelt on hand incase of ice build up on your steps and walkways.
- Traveling! Check your head lights and windshield wipers. You'd hate to lose either of these things during a big storm.
- If you DON'T have 4x4 or AWD, make sure you have a good set of chains.
- If you DO have 4x4 or AWD now is the time to invest in a good set of snow tires.
- Bring extra food and water in the car. It's also a good idea to pack some blankets and a small shovel, just in case.
- Have proper snow boots and warm WOOL socks, NOT COTTON! Plenty of mittens and gloves as the first set usually gets wet. (Pro Tip: Invest in some 'base layers' and thank me later)